This project showed me how with a bit of creativity you can cut right down on your consumption and waste, while getting something new at the same time.
I had a lovely pair of bedroom curtains that had sadly got stained in the course of our house move last year, and didn’t fit any of our new rooms any case. Meanwhile our camper van had tired old curtains that cried out for a facelift. It was a perfect fit.
|Using a seam ripper to unpick the seams on the stained curtains.|
As I took the old curtains down and double checked measurements and fitting to see if I could make any improvements ready to make the ‘new’ ones, my first thought was ‘I need some blackout lining and heading tape’ but that would delay me. Inspiration struck, so instead of getting into the car and going to get said supplies, I set to with some scissors and a seam ripper and removed the old tape and linings. Not only did it make the making-up a lot easier as I could use the old linings as a template, both the lining and heading tape were plastic-based so I saved money and landfill. Okay it took time to unpick the linings, but I even managed to do that while feeding my little one and it’s definitely the sort of task you can do while watching tv, plus I saved my time driving out to get the bits as well as saving my fuel, quite aside from the cost of the materials.
|New curtains for free - I used blue fabric for the tie-backs in this part of the van.|
I hope you agree the result is lovely, the tie-backs were made with scraps of fabric I had in my sewing basket and the touches of red really help bring together the colour theme in the van. Didn’t cost a penny and meant I could feel happy that I’d reused rather than bought new, win win.
|I used red for the tiebacks on the back window to tie in with the bunting.|
|The new look gets the thumbs up - our seat cover doubles as a picnic mat.|